Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"Graveyard Coast II " - (Mary Jarecki shipwreck) , Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

The Mary Jarecki was a wooden bulk freight steam Ship 645 tons, 200 feet in length. It hit Au Sable Reef and went down on July 4, 1883. She lost her way in heavy fog that frequent the area. These shipwrecks are a reminder of the incredible power of Lake Superior.

The Jarecki shipwreck is located on the shore of Lake Superior just north of the mouth of the Hurricane River.  Here is a nice Map of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore  by Michigan interactive.

Be sure to visit Au Sable Lighthouse  when your in the area. It is wonderful mile or so hike on a beautiful trail heading east of the shipwreck. Take the shoreline on your way back and you will see other shipwrecks and beautiful sandstone formations.  This has been one of our family's favorite hikes for many years.

To photograph this shipwreck I used a 3 stop neutral density filter to allow for a longer exposure. I shot this photo without the neutral density filter.   You can see how the longer exposure smooths the water giving the photo a softer look drawing more attention to the ship timbers.

I also used a reverse neutral density filter so the bright part of the sunset wouldn't over expose during the long exposure. 

These and all of my work can be purchased at my website.
any questions you might have about visiting the pictured rocks area or any photography related questions just ask in the comment box below or drop me a line.   jmphotography@casair.net


Submit Photos to Shutterstock and make $$$!






My camera settings and equipment  for this photo were:

camera - Nikon D700
Lens - Nikon 16-35mm
Exposure - 4 sec
Aperture - f/18
Focal Length - 22mm
ISO Speed - 200
Quality - raw processed in capture NX2
Filter - .9 reverse nd + 3 stop ND
Tripod - manfrotto proxb


© Copyright 2011 John McCormick , All Rights Reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, My name is John McCormick I’m an avid Michigan / Great Lakes Landscape Photographer. I am a life long Michigan resident and have been into landscape photography for over 30 years. On my website Michigan Nut Photography I offer high quality Fine Art Prints for the home and office. Also available are canvas wraps, standouts, framed prints, mugs, glasses, magnets, and a variety of other gifts and merchandise all of which can be printed on with a photo of your choice in my galleries.