Sunday, July 10, 2011

"Rock River Falls" Rock River Wilderness Area - Near Chatham , Michigan


 It's quite an adventure getting to this remote waterfall located in the rock river wilderness, Hiawatha National Forest. We drove five miles in on an old two track , parked and walked additional 1.5 miles or so on an unmarked trail. I have been to dozens of waterfalls in Michigan but this was our first time to Rock River falls . This falls is not huge but is now on my top five favorite Michigan waterfall list. After I photographed the falls I climbed up and enjoyed a refreshing shower. It didn't look like anyone had been there in awhile.



Hiking back there and enjoying a waterfall by yourself is a real treat! There are some wet spots on the trail and sometimes you       have to stop and look around to see which way the trail leads . It gets small and sometimes resembles a deer runway . TAKE MOSQUITO REPELLENT! unless your going before they hatch. Always let someone know where you are going, there is no phone signals this is a wilderness area. I notice most of the sites on the web that give info on finding these remote locations don't include important notes on safety. Here is a  map to falls 

These and all of my work can be purchased at my website.
Any questions you might have about visiting this area or any photography related questions just ask in the comment box below or drop me a line. jmphotography@casair.net




My camera settings for this photo

camera - Nikon D700
focal length -26mm
Lens - Nikon 16-35mm
Exposure - 1 sec
Aperture - f/16mm
ISO Speed - 200
Quality - raw processed in capture NX2
Filter -  cpl + .9 reverse nd
Tripod - ManfrottoProxb

© Copyright 2011 John McCormick , All Rights Reserved.






    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    About Me

    My photo
    Hi, My name is John McCormick I’m an avid Michigan / Great Lakes Landscape Photographer. I am a life long Michigan resident and have been into landscape photography for over 30 years. On my website Michigan Nut Photography I offer high quality Fine Art Prints for the home and office. Also available are canvas wraps, standouts, framed prints, mugs, glasses, magnets, and a variety of other gifts and merchandise all of which can be printed on with a photo of your choice in my galleries.